Friday, January 30, 2009

A Beginning - 01/30/09

I am a beginner - a lifelong learner starting out on another experience which I hope will last a "lifetime" in whatever time I have left on this earth. I have always loved pottery, but it was not until moving to North Carolina that I was able to find the time and the right avenue for learning this craft. And, so, for the last year I have regularly gone to the studio of Dan Finch and continually work at learning and honing skills in turning and glazing pottery. I say work, but it is not like work at all. I find shaping clay into decorative and functional wares as being both calming and exhilarating at the same time. Maybe it is because I am creating something. Maybe it is because I know that I can always start a piece over if it doesn't look the way I want it to. Maybe it is because clay is so flexible that , even when it does not look like what I started out to make, it allows me to continue and turn out something just as good or better. Maybe it is because I am a beginner and every pot is new and exciting. I read somewhere that every time someone sits down at a wheel, he or she is a beginner - maybe that is the real reason I am drawn to pottery. I don't have to worry about each piece being perfect, because each piece is different and unique - perfect in its own way.

I have been encouraged to start a blog as a way of communicating my experience in clay. What I hope is that this site will serve as a record of my progress, a gallery of work I produce, and a way of me sharing the joys of pottery with anyone who wishes to visit this page, as well as sharing some of my other interests with the world.

Chris Joyce

No comments: