Sunday, March 8, 2009

Snow Monday - 80 Degrees Today!


Well, we finally got some real snow! Apparently, this was the first time in a number of years that school was actually canceled due to snow. I thought I would be able to spend most of the day working at the wheel, but Susan talked me into hanging a door on a stall which took up most of the afternoon. However, I was still able to get quite a bit done and took a load in Thursday night to be bisque fired.

I picked up a load of finished ware and was pleased with the outcome of the larger pieces which I hope will end up in the Seagrove show. I have found that it really is more of a challenge to dip large pieces and have decided that I need to get a spray gun and learn how to apply glaze in this way. In the meantime, I am going to order the ingredients I need to mix up some glazes that I wish to try out that the studio does not have at this time. I lean towards earth tones and especially like Shino glazes. I believe I will try to mix some Redart Shino and some Shino with Ash glaze.


Since Thursday, I have thrown a couple of medium size bowls, a pie plate, and some pie-birds. I'm not quite sure how they are going to turn out, but I like to use one when I cook a pie to keep it from spilling out in the oven (I use a lot of fruit in my pies and they tend to be pretty juicy). Anyway, here is a picture of my little army of pie-birds drying out. I hope to throw some spoon rests and maybe work on an oval piece. I tried to create an oval casserole once before and the bottom ended up cracking badly while drying for bisque firing. It's about time I get "back on that horse" and try it again. Hopefully, this evening I will have a block of time I can devote to the wheel - I have completed all my paper grading and tomorrow is a field trip day to Sylvan Heights (an incredible place to go if you like waterfowl and other birds) so I have no lesson planning hanging over me. I would like to have another full load to take in Thursday night to build up my inventory for the sale in April.

No comments: