Wednesday, November 11, 2009

It's been a long, long, long time ...

Almost a month from the last post! I'm just feeling like I have too many irons in the fire right now.

I took a quick trip to Farmville today to drop off a platter I made for the big 50/50 raffle and auction at Fuqua School. It was worth the driving in the "driving rain" to see a lot of old friends and students. Hopefully, the platter will help raise some money for the school.

Last weekend was the big pottery open-house at Finch Pottery and it was a perfect day. Warm and sunny, and lots of people who came to look and buy. Susan went around and took pictures of the crowds for me since I was manning my booth and you can see that it was well attended. Besides the potters displaying and selling their wares, there were different demonstrations and a chance to have a piece of pottery Raku fired. All in all, a great day!

I am playing catch up with my pottery. I missed a Thursday because of the state math conference and then could not find any time to get on my wheel last week. Luckily, I have some bisque-ware to glaze tomorrow evening and have managed to throw a few pieces to take in for their first firing. I bought a box of Loafer's Glory to try out and am having a good time with it. It is certainly much easier on my hands, but takes some getting used to - much "stickier" than Phoenix and Finch#2 I've been using. It will be interesting to see how it takes glaze since it is so white compared to those other clays.

A few pictures of some of the last pieces fired. The "cat" came out real well and has been a big hit with everyone who has seen it. I went ahead and made another (smaller) one this week and cut grooves in the body so the Tenmoku glaze will do more of what it should and, hopefully, look like a tabby when it is finished.


Off to trim a couple of bowls, then make up a series of quizzes, then do some laundry, then . . .

No comments: