Sunday, December 13, 2009

It's the Most Busiest Time of the Year . . .

Once again I have fallen behind in my blog - not a very good way to finish out my first year of this endeavor. There just isn't enough time to do all I want to do!!! At this time of the year, especially, I feel pulled in all directions . . . extra choir practices to get ready for Advent, pottery and craft shows, getting things ready for the change in seasons, and, oh yeah - my job! So, here's a quick update on my life in clay.

I bought a box of Loafer's Glory and really like working with it. It is so smooth and I don't feel like I am constantly sanding off layers of my hands when I throw it. However, I have experienced some problems that I have not had with clays that have a higher grog content. One large bowl that I spent considerable time on carving designs about the rim was so fragile, it broke into pieces before it could be put in the kiln to bisque. And, another carved piece, a medium sized platter, developed a hairline crack during the first firing. Hopefully, this is just me getting used to a new clay and I can adapt. I glazed my first few pieces made with Loafer's Glory last week, so I will see how it takes to colors and texture this week.

As I compose this post, I am sitting in Becker Mall in Roanoke Rapids, NC, manning my pottery booth. this will be my last show for this season because I am running out of wares. (That's a good thing, right???) I put out an email catalog a couple of weeks ago and it has been amazing how much interest and how many sales it has generated. I think maybe I will continue this practice on a quarterly basis. I only sent it to a few people and they passed it on to friends, who shared it with others, . . . If you would like an email of what I have left in inventory, drop me a line at straydogpottery@gmail.com.

One last note. On my way back from Northern Virginia over the Thanksgiving weekend, I pulled off in Fredericksburg - partially because Interstate 95 was backed up both North and South, but mostly because I wanted to visit the LibertyTown Arts Gallery. I have been following Dan Finnegan's blog for some time and always wanted to see this gallery that he founded. What a neat place!! It was like a mini-Torpedo Factory, filled with local artists, working and exhibiting their work. I strongly recommend a trip to visit if you are interested in/in-the-market-for pottery, paintings, mosaics, hand-woven fabrics and other crafts. I think you will be pleased.

I hope this is not my last post before the New Year, but who knows with my sporadic efforts. So, in case I don't get another chance, best wishes to all for a Merry Christmas and a wonderful holiday season. Spend time with family and friends and don't forget what Christmas is all about.

No comments: