Thursday, January 28, 2010

Ring Around the Moon


The latest forecast for this part of North Carolina is calling for winter weather - a lot of winter weather this weekend. I have heard predictions from 3 to 4 inches of snow and ice to 12 inches of snow by Sunday! When I got home from the studio tonight, I got out my camera to take a picture of the ring around the moon while I was out walking the dogs. I have always heard that if snow if coming there would be a visible ring around the moon and it was easy to see tonight with the close to full moon. It is hard to believe with the current temperature being around 55 degrees!

The pictures in this post show some of the latest work I have been able to bring home. I have been experimenting with a new glaze to the shop called Iron Yellow. It is a very light yellow - almost white - but very stable and opaque. I have tried overspraying with turquoise glaze and with ash, but it seems to absorb these without any affect. Still, it is a nice looking glaze and one I will probably be using more of in the future.



I also experimented with the cave art design on a piece made with Loafer's Glory. Because this porcelain like glaze takes glazes differently, it was easier to be more defined in the design.

And, of course, I have started to build up my inventory of face jugs. It really does amaze me how these whimsical pieces are so popular and how they will sell so quickly at shows. But they are sort of fun to make and I am getting them down to a system where they do not take a lot of time to make. I need to find a new slant on face jugs to make them even more unique.


Time to make sure everything is ready for the BIG SNOW!

No comments: