Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Still Working Towards Full-Time Potter


Well, I'm still not a full time potter, but I have spent more time at the wheel. Between a revival at church this past weekend, my youngest son and his girlfriend coming to visit, and my ongoing job search, I have not had the blocks of hours I thought I would for pottery, . . . . YET! But I have worked on a few pieces when possible. I am trying to expand my inventory of face jugs, so I try to make at least one each time I sit down to the wheel. The one above, with the big shnozz, is a little larger than I usually make them - most of mine are more of a small 3" size.

I did take a couple of boxes of pottery to Louisburg on Monday to put in a new place called American Pie. Janie, who also works out of Dan Finch's studio, is running the shop and asked me to bring some things to sell. She is planning on teaching some "clay classes" for children in the back of the store this summer and is really working to get the place in shape for all types of handmade items. If you are ever in Louisburg, head down Nash Street and see what's happening at American Pie. And, go to the Coffee Hound next door for a good cup of coffee and a good book. They are both neat places in a quaint little town.

I am hoping to get a few more things done before I go to Finch's on Thursday evening. I have been working on a new design for a set of canisters - I think I could call it Hobbitware. I will see how this one fires and glazes before working on other sizes.
It doesn't look like it, but there are three legs on this canister!

No comments: