Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Turtle Power!



In how many ways can you incorporate turtles into pieces of functional pottery?  I don't know that I have the answer, but I am sure trying to see what I can do to be ready for the Indian Summer Festival in Hertford in September.  Part of the festival is the crowning of the Turtle Princess and the Turtle Queen.  These people are very proud of their town mascot, so I have been told that whatever I can bring that has a turtle on it will stand a very good chance of being a popular item.  Therefore, I have been working on turtle mugs, turtle plates, and even turtle French butter dishes!  I have a month to build my turtle inventory, so I suppose that will be a majority of my focus in August.




I also have the last "Second Saturday" of the summer on the 14th in Cresswell at Somerset Place, so most of my new non-turtle ware will be included in that event.  I have really made use of the Shino glaze since it has become available again at the studio and have been very pleased with the results.  The bunt cake "pan" is an example of this beautiful reddish brown glaze.  I made the bunt pan because a potter in Seagrove told me how hard they were to make and I wanted to see for myself.  I don't know that I would call it difficult so much as time consuming, but I really like how it turned out.  I also have been working on things like the apple bakers and pitchers of various sizes and shapes.


In October, the Finch Potters will be putting on an exhibit in Wilson, so I have been working on a few pieces especially for that show.  Since I have made so many face jugs, I thought that I would include a jug as one of the pieces - this one about three times larger than my usual jugs.  The deep oblong casserole is another piece I am hoping to include in the exhibit and then maybe a bowl of some sort.  I will have more specifics on the show in the coming weeks.

Still moving . . . still getting ready for the start of school.  Later!

No comments: