Saturday, October 16, 2010

Accreditation, moving, Open House . . . so tired!

It has been a very busy six weeks.  I had forgotten how much time it took to be an administrator in high school and, although I'm having fun in my role as principal, the days are long.  We just finished a self evaluation today as part of an accreditation review by SACS (the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools).  Rocky Mount Preparatory School - a tuition-free charter school - is now officially an accredited school!  Between school and finally moving into our "new" house, I haven't had time to sit down at the wheel in about two weeks!  Maybe tomorrow.

 

Since my last post, I had a booth at the Indian Summer Festival in Hertford, North Carolina - a neat little town with a very proud heritage.  It was a good crowd and sales were good.  The turtle mugs sold well, but the cups did not - go figure.  They will end up in the Open House in November at Dan Finch's.




The week before the Open House, I will attend a workshop at Finch's featuring Robin Hopper, a well known potter from Canada.  I am really looking forward to that weekend.
Dan did a wood firing in his large wood kiln.  I was not able to get to the shop to   help and watch the firing, but I did get two pieces ready to fire.  I think they turned out real well.  Other pieces that I have completed in the last month have centered around cookware - bunt pans and casseroles. I tried another teapot and was pleased with the final result.  One of Dan Finch's pots exploded in the kiln in the last glaze firing, spreading small shards on nearby pots.  The shards stuck to the molten glaze and are not embedded in the ware.  I had a shallow pedestal bowl close enough to the pot to end up with a half a dozen shards in the inside of the bowl.  I will have to grind them out smooth and re-glaze the piece.  Too bad - the apple green glaze has a really nice patina that may get lost in the re-firing.

More later - hopefully a lot sooner than six weeks.  I will be sure to post more information about the Open House.

1 comment:

Ceramic bisque said...

Wow. That looks like it was so much fun. I BET it WAS tiring. Very nice pieces either way.