Thursday, December 16, 2010

How 'bout "Skinned Cat Pottery" ????



Why do people think that cats are so graceful?  I just had another pot broken by our fat orange cat, Voltron, because he thinks he can climb up tablecloths without them sliding off the table.  I heard the crash and M&M's sliding across the floor and I knew exactly what had happened!  My bowl that was imprinted with Peace on one side was now in pieces.  A little superglue and it will hopefully be back in commission, at least for dry things.


Today is a snow day!  Even though it has messed up the exam schedule, I am enjoying my day at home.  I wish I could get out in the shop, but the record cold temperatures have kept me away from the wheel.  But I did get a chance between cold snaps to turn out a few items that I have been glazing when I got the chance.  The Bear Mug is a special order for someone who is apparently in love with bears.  I made a mold for the bear with Sculpey first so I can turn out multiple mugs with the same design.  It has worked really well.  I like to add thumb tabs on mugs, so this one has a bear paw!

The 12 Days of Christmas platters were from a similar design I saw years ago at Michie Tavern in Charlottesville, Virginia.  I had always kicked myself for not buying the platter when I saw it, but I really was the poor underpaid teacher at that point and, with three little boys, there was not much extra money in our house for collecting pottery.  This design is different in that the design is carved into the platter - the one I saw was probably a low fire piece with the designs painted on using underglazes.


 Only about a week until Christmas and I haven't even started shopping!  I will be busy next week doing all those things I have not had time for because of ending the first semester of school, but I am ready for the challenge.  I will hopefully post again before the 25th, but in case time gets the better of me, I hope everyone has a very merry Christmas. 
Bear and Pita - Not the "Lion and the Lamb", but close!

No comments: